Pages

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me - now do we start over with counting days, or keep going?

365 days ago, I was born. Where has the time gone? What was I doing a year ago today, you must be asking yourself? Furthermore, what have you spent the last year doing?

Maybe you met all four sets of your quarterly goals, and your portfolio increased its value. Maybe you are among the dozen or so women I know to give birth in the past year. Maybe you became a dad for a second time. Or you ran a marathon. Or you survived yet another Chicago winter. Or you passed your PhD comps. Or you started your own private law practice. These are all noble accomplishments, and I commend you for them.

But at the end of the day, are they anything compared to:
  1. adjusting to life outside of a womb
  2. learning to breathe through the mouth and nose
  3. learning to eat through the mouth
  4. learning to scream
  5. learning to drink from a cup
  6. learning to stand up
  7. growing teeth
  8. growing hair, getting it cut, and growing it back
  9. sleeping 11 hours in a row on a regular basis
  10. moving to the Classic City
  11. sitting in the bathtub by myself
  12. eating hundreds of Cheerios, one at a time
  13. smiling and laughing on demand
  14. occasionally eating rocks
The answer is clearly in the negative. So to celebrate my superiority, we had a little birthday party. Grandpa and YaYa came down for the festivities. Riotous it was indeed.

The birthday cupcakes mom made:
















Going,
















going,
















gone.

3 comments:

Madeleine Hays said...

Happy Barritt-day to you!
Happy Barritt-day to you!
Happy Barritt-day dear Barritt!
Happy Barritt-day to you!

Anonymous said...

Barritt--

Happy Birthday!
Save a cupcake for us!

Love,
Cameron and Thomas

the welches / הוולציס said...

Happy belated birthday Barritt! I can't believe all you've accomplished in one year. Most of the things you listed are on my to-do list for the next 9 months. I'll let you know if I reach my goals. So far, I can check off rolling over (one way). Hey, will you be visiting Winston at all in May? I will be there the 12th through the 31st. Maybe we can meet in person.
Love,
LKW